Saturday, December 25, 2010

Merry Christma, drama rod.

For the first time in 17 years, Nashville has had snow on Christmas. I think it is my arrival. They are just so happy to have me they have blanketed the city in snow. It’s just a theory, but I’m going with it.

I was not with my family this Christmas which was like a kind of torture for us all. We are a Christmas family. Hard core. We rival the Griswald’s. It is hard to describe if you have never experienced a Stokes’ Family Christmas. Suffice it to say, we are rad. Even though we were apart, I felt their love surrounding me all day. I love and miss them all terribly. My nephew told my brother “I like all my presents. I just don’t want to talk about it.” Comedy. I was invited to a new friend’s house for dinner. I very comfortably ate all of their delicious food. It is lovely to feel welcome with strangers. The ice on the way home was not as awesome.

Last night, I was doing a little laundry. There was a super cute guy in the laundry room who had misplaced his laundry card. (Card operated machines rather than coin). He asked me if I had some money on my card. Not enough for both of us. So he loaded some cash onto my card. When I returned to put my clothes in the dryer, he was not there. So I left him my card and a little note telling him when finished to return the card to my apartment. Smooth, right? He dropped by. We chatted for a moment. He lingered and eventually departed when I wished him a Merry Christmas. I went back to get my dry laundry and he was there folding his. Yes! I remained true to my drama rod self. Here is how the conversation went:

“So why are you doing laundry on Christmas’ Eve?”
“I hate to break it to you, buddy, but you are doing laundry on Christmas’ Eve. I just moved here from LA. No family and friends so why not laundry? You?”
“Similar story. I moved here from New York.”
“The city?”
“Yeah, Queens.”
“How does someone from Queens end up in Nashville?”
“Well…my soon to be ex wife found out she was pregnant and is from here.”
(L.E. panicked and thinking “Seriously?”)
“But I am glad I moved here cause I like it.”
“Well, that’s good. Merry Christmas again.”

Classic. The story had such potential until there was baby mamma drama.

My birthday is in two days. And year after year, I suffer some type of disappointment that casts a shadow over my birthday. I can catalogue them. It is uncanny. This year was no different and I am not referring to the super cute laundry room guy. But this year unlike any other, I am resolute to be defiant. I will not let this dampen my spirits. I have been brave. And not everything is going to plan yet, but when does it? I shall not be damp!

So to everyone that reads this nonsensical blog, and I know and love you all, Merry Christmas and Happy Birthday! I hope that you have been filled with love and peace today. And I hope that the blessings of your life far outweigh any of your sorrows.

No comments:

Post a Comment