Monday, November 29, 2010

The DMV and Other Such Nonsense

I had to wait a little while to detox from my day at the DMV before writing about it. I arrived, stood on line, took my number, and then waited almost four hours for an appointment that took ten minutes. It had to be the most inefficient system I have seen in a while. I sat in the waiting room listening to a woman scream that she has never done crack, casually reading my Economist. I almost finished the magazine. If you have ever picked up an Economist, you will know how much time they take to read. Not really a browsing little mag. I was sitting next to some people that were there to sort out a ticket and get their license back. They had both been caught driving without insurance. They bellyached and bitched about the state “nickel and diming you”. I restrained myself, but I wanted to say, “You assholes are driving around without insurance. You deserve every fine and inconvenience you are experiencing.” But I smiled, and placidly returned to my reading. I was astonished that if you have to have insurance to drive, why was I not asked to produce it before getting my license or registering my car. I mean, that’s just logical. Once I had my license, I had to then drive to the county clerk’s office to register my car. For realz? You can’t do both at the Department of Motor Vehicles??? Stupid. They have a blanket cost of $90 dollars to register your vehicle. They didn’t seem to care that the truck is 12 years old. When you live in states that don’t have income tax, people tend to brag about it with wide-eyed enthusiasm. But whether they take it from your check or not, they get their taxes. At least when it is deducted, you don’t quite notice it the same way as when you are paying 10% tax on your soda. Nevertheless, I am licensed and registered and that is good.

I started a part-time job at American Eagle to try and generate a little cash flow in the interim. The training was laughably anemic. I’m pretty sure they taught me to smile, but I can’t be positive. My first shift was on the dreaded black Friday. I was a little nervous because I really detest being unprepared. However, it was crazy boring. I really just stood there, said “All these hoodies are $19.77 and with the 20% discount in the store, that makes them $16.” and then refolded all the disturbed clothes over and over and over and over and over and over again. One of the managers approached me on Saturday to tell me he really thought I could be a top associate. “You have a good head on your shoulders. You’re smart. And you have managed a retail store. I don’t know what your plans are, but there is room to grow here.” It was really quite sweet. And he is a super cool guy so far. But I couldn’t help but laugh wildly on the inside and blast it on Facebook. I mean, honestly, retail management…um…no. I am finding my 19 year old coworkers to be a bit icy, but I didn’t really get the job to make friends. And after cleaning the store today, let me caution all of you from wearing clothes from a store without washing them first. Trust me. I have also recognized a slight ethical dilemma in working here. The major push is sales, obviously. But the tactics to try and get people to buy more than they intend sort of rubs me the wrong way. Without knowing whether or not they can afford it, it makes me really uncomfortable. Because 20% off is nice, but it makes you spend more than maybe you should. And I feel sleazy shoving products in their hands. So I really just avoid that admonishment altogether.

It is nice to have something to do, even if it makes me want to bash my brains in and involves listening to Katy Perry and that stupid “Teenage Dream” song twice an hour. Not that Weezer’s “We Wish You a Merry Christmas” is much better. Activity helps to keep all things in a bit of perspective. Or serves as a distraction, which is just as good.

I am thankful that I got a job. Thankful that I was able to spend Thanksgiving with a friend. Thankful that I am here even if I still don't know why.

No comments:

Post a Comment