Sunday, October 17, 2010

Visalia Beautiful

My first stop on my journey to Tennessee has been a visit to my lovely friend, Ally in Visalia, CA. She has a beautiful house with a walk-in closet that would make the inventor of the walk-in closet blush with pride and wonder. Visalia is sandwiched between Bakersfield and Fresno. Fruit country. With a faint smell of dairy cow poop in the morning. Ally has a three-month-old baby girl with long eyelashes and the cutest dimples ever. There is a steady stream of visitors in her house fighting to hold the baby. One visitor, whose relation to Ally will remain discreet in this post, has a very interesting idiosyncrasy in her speech. She tends to reverse the placement of her adjectives and nouns. When talking about the baby, she described her as “rotten spoiled.” When talking about the architectural style in Nashville, it was “country old.” And she said it with such conviction. I find this fascinating. It’s like she has Post-Descriptive Stress Disorder or Adjective Misplacement Syndrome. I recognize that “rotten” and “spoiled” have similar definitions. Or at least one leads to the other. It is the spoiling of your children that can make them rotten. However, “country” has a large spectrum. You have to narrow it down. But the reversal of country and old is a mistake silly. You can’t have country old or city old or modern mid-century. It just doesn't make any sense. She did it so many times in one afternoon it was hard not to laugh. I’m a big fan of adjectives. They are one of the most effective means of precision in communication. Their misplacement seems like a crime ignorant

3 comments:

  1. You were in my home town! (Okay, Ally's home town, but I'm older, so it was my home town first.) :) Actually, that's not true. We moved there when I was four. What was I saying?.........

    Hope you enjoyed Califonia Central.

    ReplyDelete